When Francis Charles Walker founded his modest plaster and tiling operation in 1906, few would have dreamt the family company would remain a leader in the industry a century later. From humble beginnings the award-winning Walkers is now a name synonymous with quality product, superior workmanship, old fashioned service and value for money.
Francis Charles Walker, founder of 'Walkers Pty Ltd' & his wife Ethel taken in the early 1900's
Francis Charles Walker founded his modest plaster and tiling business on the corner of Pakington and Maitland Streets in Geelong West.
Business prospers and Francis Charles Walker purchases a Villamanta street property known as 'Nenagh'. The property becomes the family home and the base of the expanding business.
1930 - 1940
Francis Charles and Ethel Walker have four sons. Frank, Jack, George and Les all follow in their father's footsteps. FC Walkers becomes FC Walker & Sons and once again the company relocates to larger premises in Price Street Newtown to cater for growing demand.
The introduction of plasterboard revolutionises the building supply industry. FC Walkers is the first major contractor to embrace and promote the radical new product. The company also expands the tiling side of the operations with ceramic tiles becoming increasingly popular.
Further expansion forces the company to secure more land in Price Street. A modern tile showroom is built in West Fyans Street Newtown. The company now employs over eighty people.
Walkers Building & Decorator Products consolidates their operation into a state of art showroom in West Fyans Street Newtown. This consolidation has cemented Walkers as an icon in Geelong and is another milestone in the evolution of a family business.
Walkers celebrate 100 years of business