Walkers History

Walkers - history

Francis Charles Walker, founder of ‘Walkers Pty Ltd’ & his wife Ethel taken in the early 1900’s

From humble beginnings at the corner of Pakington and Maitland Streets in Geelong West in 1906 to the opening of our Ballarat Trade Centre, Showroom and Warehouse Distribution Centre in 2016, Walkers is renowned for quality tiles, plaster, cornicing, insulation and cladding products and services.

Walkers

Our name is synonymous with quality tile & plastering products, superior workmanship, old fashioned service and value for money. While we deliver old fashioned service, Walkers extensive range of quality tiles, plaster, cornicing, insulation, cladding products and services offer the latest in technological advancement, materials style and finish.

Francis Charles Walker founded his modest plaster and tiling business over 100 years ago, with his four sons, Frank, Jack, George and Les all following in their father’s footsteps. FC Walkers then became FC Walker & Sons with ever expanding products and services, including as the first major contractor of plasterboard in 1963 (plasterboard was a radical product at the time).

Consolidating our operations into our showroom in West Fyans Street Newtown in 2001, cemented our position as an iconic Geelong tile & plaster company. Today Walkers continues the tradition of a family company, supporting local jobs with over 80 employees across our operations.

Walkers Timeline

1906

Francis Charles Walker founded his modest plaster and tiling business on the corner of Pakington and Maitland Streets in Geelong West.

1923

Business prospers and Francis Charles Walker purchases a Villamanta Street property known as ‘Nenagh’. The property becomes the family home and the base of the expanding business.

1930 - 1940

Francis Charles and Ethel Walker have four sons. Frank, Jack, George and Les all follow in their father’s footsteps. FC Walkers becomes FC Walker & Sons and once again the company relocates to larger premises in Price Street Newtown to cater for growing demand.

1963

The introduction of plasterboard revolutionises the building supply industry. FC Walkers is the first major contractor to embrace and promote the radical new product. The company also expands the tiling side of the operations with ceramic tiles becoming increasingly popular.

1975 - 1990

Further expansion forces the company to secure more land in Price Street. A modern tile showroom is built in West Fyans Street Newtown. The company now employs over eighty people.

2001

Walkers Building & Decorator Products consolidates their operation into a state of art showroom in West Fyans Street Newtown. This consolidation has cemented Walkers as an icon in Geelong and is another milestone in the evolution of a family business.

2006

Walkers celebrate 100 years of business

2016

Walkers expand into Ballarat, opening showroom & warehouse distribution center